This documentation describes version 1.0 of the Open Archives API. The methods marked with an asterisk (*) require an API key, contact Open Archives to apply for one. All output is in UTF-8 and cached (server-side and via max-age header) for a day, unless otherwise specified.
- Search - searches the genealogical data set and returns the found persons (and records)
- Show - shows one specific genealogical record
- Years ago - lists people born years ago
- Add (*) - adds a comment to a record
- Delete (*) - deletes a comment
- List - lists comments made on records
- Weather - historical weather measurements
- Census - information about the Dutch population
Open Archives provides search results as defined by the Open Search specification. There's an OpenSearch description document for each language: NL, EN, DE & FR.
Want to harvest the genealogical data?
Open Archives also provides an OAI-PMH data provider for harvesting.
Want to search for more open culture data?
Open Cultuur Data provides a API to a growing set of open datasets from archives and museums. The Open Archives dataset is also included in this Open Cultuur Data API.
What is an API?
An application-programming interface (API) is a set of programming instructions and standards for accessing a Web-based software application or Web tool. An organisation releases its API to the public so that other software developers can design products that are powered by its service.
Publish your family tree and find your ancestors on Genealogie Online!